Varsity Letter Requirements
CRITERIA FOR EARNING A LETTER
Swimming and Diving: to earn a letter the swimmer/diver must be an eligible and ACTIVE team member the entire season and meet ALL of the following qualifications.
A. Attend at least 85% of all scheduled workouts. Swimmers will be required to swim in 7 out of 12 (70%) holiday practices. Exceptions are only made at the coaches’ discretion.
B. If a swimmer or diver chooses to attend USS swimming or diving practices, then they must meet the same practice requirements as those attending the scheduled high school workouts. All divers and USS swimmers must attend all of the scheduled meets.
- Attend all scheduled meets unless approved by the coach. Swimmers and divers are not required to attend meets that they are not entered in although they are welcomed to attend. All qualifying team members must attend the County Meet and the State Meet.
- A swimmer can have NO unexcused meet absences.
- Qualify in at least one of the following:
A. Qualify for the state meet. Time from dual/tri meet will fulfill this requirement.
B. Meet adjusted time qualifications as stated below. These apply to individual events only. State and lettering times must be met in a high school varsity meet.
C. Be a senior who has been an active team member for four years of your school swimming career.
Managers: To earn a letter the manger must:
- Attend at least 85% of the scheduled swim practices.
- Attend and assist at all meets for the entire meet unless approved by the coach.
- Demonstrate a willingness to assist the coach when needed.
2020 – 2021 High School Lettering – Swimming & Diving
|State Qualifying Times||Earning a Letter|
|1:51||2:07||200 MEDLEY RELAY|
|200 (10.4 dd)||200 (10.4 dd)||6 DIVES||130||130|
|270 (12.0 dd)||270 (11.5 dd)||11 DIVES||200||200|
If the swimmer/diver meets the above criteria, final determination of letter eligibility is made by the coaches at their discretion. If a letter is earned during the season, the athlete will receive a certificate at the annual awards banquet. Letters and letter jackets may be purchased at the school store or directly from the vendor at designated times throughout the year as announced by the Athletic Director. Students should watch the morning news for dates of these fittings. For subsequent letters earned, a bar pin will be awarded to be placed on the letter.